Wireless still causing issues, but I solved the second problem; the
whole of my issues with installing User-Mode-Linux was that I hadn't
actually installed it! I'd installed the docs package and a utilities
package, but not the program itself!

*hides embarrassed in corner* Sorry!

Thanks for all your input thus far everyone!

                     -jordan