On 3/28/06, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:

> I just did this tonight finally on a remote production Debian box -
> went fairly well.  You can usually do the following:
>
> 1.) download newest kernel source tree - untar and go into the source
> directory.
> 2.) cp /boot/config-2.4.xx .config (where xx is your current version)
> 3.) make oldconfig - answer when prompted about new/changed
> configuration items - most answers will be 'N'
> 4.) make
> 5.) su
> 6.) make modules_install
> 7.) cp .config /boot/config-2.6.xx
> 8.) cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.xx
> 9.) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xx
> 10.) Edit lilo or grub config files to load new kernel boot record
> into MBR.
> 11.) reboot
>
> At least that's what works for me - I'm not saying it's that simple.
> With a major release upgrade you'll want to carefully compare the
> config files between the working 2.4 version and the one you get after
> make oldconfig (or make menuconfig/xconfig if you prefer) - for
> example, I had to manually redo all my Netfilter (iptables) options in
> my 2.6 config file because "make oldconfig" didn't enable a lot of the
> options I had in my 2.4 kernel for some reason - rebooted and my
> firewall didn't come up.  Other than that though it went well.
>
> Here's a nice tip if you use lilo on a remote server.  If you run:
>
> lilo -v
> lilo -v -R LinuxNEW
>
> where LinuxNEW is a new entry in lilo.conf - then the next reboot will
> boot into the kernel defined in the LinuxNEW label and if it fails and
> you get a kernel panic the next reboot will boot back into your usual
> working default kernel image.

Thanks Josh.  At the moment, I think I'm going to stick with the
2.4kernel.  Not sure if I'm feeling brave enough to attempt a massive
upgrade
to Slack-current on my desktop.

Being that I haven't had a successful compile before on a kernel, I want to
keep the same config I have, just tweak it for larger memory (>1GB), nForce
drivers and an AMD processor.  Is this the correct process?

cp /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-newversion
cd /usr/src/linux-newversion
step the EXTRAVERSION in /usr/src/linux-newversion
make oldconfig
make dep
make menuconfig or xconfig (modifying the kernel)
make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules

Beyond that is where I get mixed up.  I've read Slack documentation, and
countless other places from Linuxquestions.org and
alt.os.linux.slackwareand beyond.  Everyone has their own way of doing
it, but I have yet to find
on that seems to work for me.

Thanks!

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..