Shawn Fertch wrote:
> When upgrading from a 2.4 to 2.6 kernel, can I use a .config file from 2.4?
>
> Also, what would be the procedural steps to do the upgrade?
>
> Can I do everything under the 2.4 kernel, or do I need to be in the 2.6?
>
> Sad to say I've never done a kernel recompile or upgrade in all the
> years I've been using Linux....

I just did this tonight finally on a remote production Debian box -
went fairly well.  You can usually do the following:

1.) download newest kernel source tree - untar and go into the source
directory.
2.) cp /boot/config-2.4.xx .config (where xx is your current version)
3.) make oldconfig - answer when prompted about new/changed
configuration items - most answers will be 'N'
4.) make
5.) su
6.) make modules_install
7.) cp .config /boot/config-2.6.xx
8.) cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.xx
9.) cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xx
10.) Edit lilo or grub config files to load new kernel boot record
into MBR.
11.) reboot

At least that's what works for me - I'm not saying it's that simple.
With a major release upgrade you'll want to carefully compare the
config files between the working 2.4 version and the one you get after
make oldconfig (or make menuconfig/xconfig if you prefer) - for
example, I had to manually redo all my Netfilter (iptables) options in
my 2.6 config file because "make oldconfig" didn't enable a lot of the
options I had in my 2.4 kernel for some reason - rebooted and my
firewall didn't come up.  Other than that though it went well.

Here's a nice tip if you use lilo on a remote server.  If you run:

lilo -v
lilo -v -R LinuxNEW

where LinuxNEW is a new entry in lilo.conf - then the next reboot will
boot into the kernel defined in the LinuxNEW label and if it fails and
you get a kernel panic the next reboot will boot back into your usual
working default kernel image.

Hope that helps,

Josh