Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for design
software for Linux.

I've been doing a lot of remodeling in my spare time and I'm getting a
pretty good wood shop setup in the garage.  I'm getting done with some
of the remodeling projects and I'm going to be starting on some
furniture soon.  I'd like to have some software that I can do the
pre-planning in.

Currently I use xfig, and this works great.  But, it's missing
something.  I like it because I can do a rough draft of a design, or I
can layout cut patterns in the stock material so I can see how much
plywood I need to buy.

But what I'd like to do is both, and probably in 3D.  What I'd like to
do is design a book shelf or something, and then take it apart and lay
it out flat into various 4x8 foot sheets, and possibly make a few
changes and put it back together again and see what the changes I've
made have done to the project.

Like I said, xfig is great, but it's only a 2D editor, and I really
think a 3D system is what I need.  With that said, I'm doing all this in
my spare time (I'm a programmer full time) and I don't want something
that is too difficult.  I think I only use about half or less of what
xfig can do in 2D.  I don't think I need to learn a full fledged 3D CAD
system to build a book shelf or and end table or something.  I need
something simple and easy.  Build shapes, change dimensions, rotate,
scale, zoom, etc...

Of course it needs to run on Linux, and as being a gentoo user, having
it in portage is a plus.  Since this is only a hobby, I'd like it to be
free.  A "GPL-ish" license isn't necessary, but it would be cool (I'm a
programmer after all).

Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to what I'm
describing, or had success with other software that can do some of what
I want?

Thanks all,

Chris Frederick