On 3/25/06, Chris Frederick <cdf123 at cdf123.net> wrote:
> Like I said, xfig is great, but it's only a 2D editor, and I really
> think a 3D system is what I need.  With that said, I'm doing all this in
> my spare time (I'm a programmer full time) and I don't want something
> that is too difficult.  I think I only use about half or less of what
> xfig can do in 2D.  I don't think I need to learn a full fledged 3D CAD
> system to build a book shelf or and end table or something.  I need
> something simple and easy.  Build shapes, change dimensions, rotate,
> scale, zoom, etc...
>
> Of course it needs to run on Linux, and as being a gentoo user, having
> it in portage is a plus.  Since this is only a hobby, I'd like it to be
> free.  A "GPL-ish" license isn't necessary, but it would be cool (I'm a
> programmer after all).
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to what I'm
> describing, or had success with other software that can do some of what
> I want?

Check out qcad. It not exactly what you describe and has a slightly
steeper learning curve than xfig, but dosnt take too long to learn if
you have done any sort of drafting in the past.

qcad can be found here:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

Im not a gentoo user, but I think qcad is in portage

--
Jay Kline
http://www.slushpupie.com/