On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:30:48AM -0600, Sean Waite wrote:
> A friend passed along this contract offer, and to say the least I was
> a bit taken back by what was being offered. Below is what was listed
> for the contract proposal. Now here is what is rather amusing, the
> project is budgeted for $500-1000. Is it just me or is this
> ridiculously low? Problem is I am seeing this all over. Has IT work
> just become so meaningless these days or what?

The odds are pretty good that the job won't be done for that price.
After all, that's less than the price for 1 good consultant for one day.

> >1) setup a very secure Linux RedHat Enterprise SSL website with Oracle
> >backend database.

The RHEL subscription starts at about $350 per year.  Hopefully that's
not coming out of the budget too!

You're most likely not going to find anybody with good RHEL *and* Oracle
skills that's going to work for peanuts.

> >All work done will belong to me, copyrights, etc.

So you want the person to work for peanuts *and* give the sources away
at the end?  Ain't gonna happen.  There's enough work there that
somebody might be willing to do it if they can sell multiple copies.
And if *all* work is copyrighted by the end user, what about the open
source that will be used as part of the project?

IT work hasn't become meaningless but people can ask for whatever they
want.  They're not going to get what they're hoping for though.  You
think you've contracted for a highly secure web site but you've hired a
kid right out of high school with no real world experience and there
are security holes all over the place.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE