On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:01:45PM -0600, k0sdh wrote:
> Now my question;
> My Intel P4 box with Ubuntu 5.10 is nice when the monitor is on. I am
> slowly learning to get Ubuntu to do what I want.
> However after leaving it set (nothing turned off) the screen-saver comes
> on after one minute and runs for five minutes exactly as I set in
> "System/Preverences/Screensaver".
> Then the monitor display goes dark/off but monitor-on led is still on.
> Have tried several keys and key combinations/ the monitor on/off switch
> doesn't work in this state.  Only way I've found to get display to work
> again is reboot the computer or unplug/replug the monitor.
> How can I get monitor to work/display again??

Steve,

Look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf for the "Monitor" section, and make sure
the dpms option is set. Here is the snippet from my config:
   Section "Monitor"
      Identifier   "Monitor0"
      VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
      ModelName    "Monitor 1600x1200"
      HorizSync    31.5 - 94.0
      VertRefresh  50.0 - 90.0
      Option       "dpms"
    EndSection

after you set it, it should be enough to logout and log back in, but
if not, you need to restart gdm after you logged out: go to a virtual
console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), login as root, then:
   /etc/init.d/gdm restart

florin

--
Don't question authority: they don't know either!