> http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2006-June/050067.html
>
> Here is my summary of what happened:
>
> (1) a message from a yahoo.com email account sent malware to the list
> (2) people let themselves be infected by this malware
> (3) newly infected people sent more spam to the list
> (4) TCLUG members decided to blame yahoo.com for this
> (5) after a vote, yahoo.com was then banned from TCLUG list
>
> In other words, there was no good reason to ban yahoo.com in the first
> place.  In case I am misunderstood, I should point out that I am not using
> Yahoo.com.  I use Pine on Solaris, so I don't really care about the yahoo
> issue but I think it is unfair and unhelpful to single out one mail source
> based on a single email from 5 years ago.
>
> Mike

Yep, thats how I read it too.  Given this, I think its silly to still
have the ban in place.  But now, people will vote against removing it
just out of principle, because they are annoyed with this thread, if for
no other reason.

If another virus outbreak occurs - only this time, it starts with a
gmail account, precedence (and a vote, although not specific to gmail at
the time) says that we need to ban gmail too.

Dan

--
Daniel Armbrust