Mike Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Chad Walstrom wrote:

[snipped]

> My mistake.  It started out with what he called "flamebait" about MUAs and
> the rest of the message looked like a horrible mess in pine for some
> reason.  I just found it here...
>
> http://archives.mn-linux.org/pipermail/tclug-list/2006-June/050067.html
>
> ...and read it fully (and it doesn't look messed up there, so I guess pine
> had a problem with it).  Here is my summary of what happened:
>
> (1) a message from a yahoo.com email account sent malware to the list
> (2) people let themselves be infected by this malware
> (3) newly infected people sent more spam to the list
> (4) TCLUG members decided to blame yahoo.com for this
> (5) after a vote, yahoo.com was then banned from TCLUG list
>
> In other words, there was no good reason to ban yahoo.com in the first
> place.  In case I am misunderstood, I should point out that I am not using
> Yahoo.com.  I use Pine on Solaris, so I don't really care about the yahoo
> issue but I think it is unfair and unhelpful to single out one mail source
> based on a single email from 5 years ago.

*shrug* - seems akin to about 80% of the responses i've seen to things
on this list.  i'll dutifully point out that the SNR has improved
considerably over the past year or so.

e.g.: someone lofts a query as to why something doesn't work under
distribution X, and the response is a flood of messages about how they
should really be using distribution Y with the purple colored patch kit
and the lime flavored frannistan.

seriously, are you really all that surprised by heavy handed responses
to things? ;-)

[snipped]

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC