On Monday 19 June 2006 2:37 pm, j_wrocky at comcast.net wrote:
> Would like to install a Linux distro and also leave Windows XP Pro on the
> HDD. The Thinkpad is a G40 Series, Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU, 248 MB RAM, 24.GB
> HDD. Is now running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> Any recommendations or gotcha's?
>
> I can download and burn any distro on to a CD or DVD.
> I have SimplyMEPIS 6.0rc1 SuSE 10.1 (DVD), Kubuntu 6.06 on CD's now.
>
> I have the IBM restore disks.
>
> Jerry Weihrauch

As a long time SuSE user I recommend that. I ran various versions on a
Thinkpad A22m until I replaced it last year. The newer versions of SUSE will
deal with setting up the dual boot using NTFS resize utility.  One thing to
do before loading is a scandisk and defrag to move data to the "front" of the
NTFS partition. The SUSE setup should then give you the option of sizing the
partition. NTFS reading is built in so you should be able to read files from
the Windows partition. You'll need a utility like NTFS capture to write.

If you've got built in WiFi in the laptop check the chipset. You may need to
use NDISWrapper or Linuxant's DriverLoader to use the wifi.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com
http://www.jacku.com