On 6/19/06, j_wrocky at comcast.net <j_wrocky at comcast.net> wrote:
> Would like to install a Linux distro and also leave Windows XP Pro on the
> HDD.
> The Thinkpad is a G40 Series, Celeron 2.4 GHz CPU, 248 MB RAM, 24.GB HDD.
> Is now running Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> Any recommendations or gotcha's?
>
> I can download and burn any distro on to a CD or DVD.
> I have SimplyMEPIS 6.0rc1 SuSE 10.1 (DVD), Kubuntu 6.06 on CD's now.
>
> I have the IBM restore disks.
>
> Jerry Weihrauch

Windows XP is probably using NTFS filesystem.  Check the kernel for
the distro you plan to use to be sure it supports read/write NTFS
support.  I *think* newer kernel support it but it's been a while
since I last looked.  If not, you might want to create a FAT32
partition so that both Linux and XP can write files to share between
OS's.

Newer Thinkpads were shipping with a "recovery partition".  The idea
being that you've hosted your system and want to do a quick factory
restore.  You boot and press F12 (or some other key) and it
reformats/reinstalls you Windows partition.  You may choose to leave
the recovery partition and use a tool like partition magic or some
such to resize the existing Windows partition to free up space for
Linux.

Myself, I dd'd the recovery partition to an NFS mount to save it (so I
could restore it later).  I then wiped the drive (20 G) and create 4
partitions:

hda1   10G FAT32   windows2000 (games, mp3 mule)
hda2   1G          linux swap
hda3   4G          linux ext2 '/'
hda4   rest        linux ext2 '/data'

I'm using ext2 since ext3 writes to the hard disk nearly constantly
and that just eats the battery.  I gave up trying to figure out how to
tune ext3 to write less often.  Other filesystem may work better but I
haven't tried them.  The down side is if the laptop locks up I have
longer fsck time.  While I have had a few lockups, they've been rare
and usually after a kernel update.   I'm running Debian sarge and for
the most part it's been very stable.

I don't mess with hibernation, although that's supposed to work.  I
just use Fn+F4 and suspend with APM support and that works great.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Scot