I had a huge problem configuring grub with the lastest Ubuntu installer. My
first HD is a SATA drive (/dev/sda). A friend gave me an IDE drive that I
use for backups (/dev/hdb). The installer kept insisting that /dev/hdb was
the first drive, so I couldn't boot to anything until I edited my
/boot/grub/menu.lst and device.map.