On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 01:47:59PM -0500, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Probably very good advice.  I haven't worked with ClearCase, but their
> name pops up in discussions on the other VCS email lists, such as the
> Monotone, Mercurial, Darcs, and Git lists.  Monotone has a list of VCS
> projects at http://venge.net/monotone/others.html.
>
> Personally, I would advocate any of the ones I listed above, in
> probably the order I listed above.  Darcs has probably the best
> integration with IDE's, such as Eclipse.  There's a SoC project to
> bring Monotone to Eclipse, so if you're in to that type of development
> environment, you'll soon have some more options.
>
> Otherwise Subversion might be a viable alternative.  Ubuntu developers
> use Bazaar and Bazaar NG, both Canonical, Inc. supported projects
> based on GNU Arch.

It will be hard to sell one of the FOSS solutions to management,
especially if they caught the Clearcase bug (but all the big boys have
it), but Subversion will be easier than most because:
   - it is similar to CVS (in commands, IDE support, and in the fact
     that it is centralized)
   - it is developed by former maintainers of CVS
   - it has corporate sponsorship, and they sell support contracts

florin

--
If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as lines
produced but as lines spent.                       -- Edsger Dijkstra