florin at iucha.net (Florin Iucha)  wrote:
> Don't do it unless you really have to have it (~ the boss wants it)
> and can afford it.

Probably very good advice.  I haven't worked with ClearCase, but their
name pops up in discussions on the other VCS email lists, such as the
Monotone, Mercurial, Darcs, and Git lists.  Monotone has a list of VCS
projects at http://venge.net/monotone/others.html.

Personally, I would advocate any of the ones I listed above, in
probably the order I listed above.  Darcs has probably the best
integration with IDE's, such as Eclipse.  There's a SoC project to
bring Monotone to Eclipse, so if you're in to that type of development
environment, you'll soon have some more options.

Otherwise Subversion might be a viable alternative.  Ubuntu developers
use Bazaar and Bazaar NG, both Canonical, Inc. supported projects
based on GNU Arch.

Shop around.  Try them out.  Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/