On 12/27/06, Jeff Rasmussen <jeff.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started recommending Microsoft's Defender, for home users instead of
> Grisoft's AVG because:
>   1.  it will be installed by default in Vista
>   2.  it looks like Microsoft will likely not charge for it, ever
>   3.  most home users just need something that will continue updating
> definitions (If AVG ever decided to stop offering a free package, then
> everybody I've recommended using it will probably have the free AVG
> installed with no current definitions just like the trial versions of
> Norton)
>   4.  it works smoothly with the operating system (It doesn't work with MS
> own corporate proxy, therefore I assume that this will only be a consumer
> product offered by Microsoft to keep people from moving to Mac or Linux
> because of viruses)
>
> --
> Jeff Rasmussen
> GPG public key 0x9686C12F

Windows Defender is fairly solid but it is only an anti-spyware
solution.  Microsoft has their own pay-for anti-virus solution called
Windows Live OneCare (http://www.windowsonecare.com).  I installed it
when it was still in Beta and had some serious performance issues but
cannot speak to its current state.

Grisoft's free AVG has been around for quite a long time.  It seems to
be a good vehicle for driving attention to their commercial products;
it should be a pretty safe bet to see it stick around long-term.  And
hey... it runs on Linux.

--
Donovan Niesen