On 12/27/06, Jeff Rasmussen <jeff.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've started recommending Microsoft's Defender, for home users instead of
> Grisoft's AVG because:
>   1.  it will be installed by default in Vista
>   2.  it looks like Microsoft will likely not charge for it, ever
>   3.  most home users just need something that will continue updating
> definitions (If AVG ever decided to stop offering a free package, then
> everybody I've recommended using it will probably have the free AVG
> installed with no current definitions just like the trial versions of
> Norton)
>   4.  it works smoothly with the operating system (It doesn't work with MS
> own corporate proxy, therefore I assume that this will only be a consumer
> product offered by Microsoft to keep people from moving to Mac or Linux
> because of viruses)

"it looks like Microsoft will likely not charge for it, ever"
<cough-snort-spit>

what? are you kidding? Microsoft is totally planting the seed for future
"microsoft bi-annual software subscription service plan upgrades"

"get all the latest new cool features! be safe from viruses and hackers!
just pay us $49.95 a year"

just wait for it! honestly!

not to toot the linux horn on the linux user's group mailing list... but
linux is pretty darn cool! microsoft is defiantly feeling the pressure from
linux (and perhaps even osx!) The reason that vista is and will be such a
relative nightmare for upgrades is that microsoft is still shipping software
like it's 1993. Discs in boxes at stores? How quant, reminds me of switching
out a stack of 42 floppy disks for windows nt 3.51.

how about a cd that your computer comes with that connects out to the
internet and grabs the latest install every time you run it? How about point
releases with real new features? How about small incremental changes,
instead of huge scary sweeping changes?

ahh but then we're talking cathedral vs. bazaar aren't we? ;)

oh and small new features... they can start with making the copy folder
clock in winxp/2000 show a less retarded average time left