My notes/pastes for all suggestions windows AVs as of this afternoon Fri,
Dec 29th.

Free Antivirus/AntiSpyware Software

ClamWin Free Antivirus (free, open-source)
   http://clamwin.com/

   Article: Using ClamWin Free Antivirus to replace proprietary anti-virus
software
   http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/clamwin_test/

AVG Antivirus (may slow computer)

   I would definitely recommend AVG network edition

Avast! 4 Home Antivirus (free for home)

Winpooch Watchdog - Anti-spyware and Anti-trojan (open source)
   http://winpooch.sf.net/
   http://winpooch.free.fr/

  It adds on access scanning to clamav (and has a built in clamav scanner to
  do away with clamav installation plus the ability to use other av
scanners).

  The software is not for folks that don't know what is running on the
machine (most
  users), but can be good for folks who want to know what is going on.  It
can
  be tuned via rules to allow the usual background processes to not annoy
the
  heck out of you (otherwise they pop up on schedule to have you allow or
deny the
  process)

Spybot Search&Destroy - Anti-spyware (free)

Microsoft Windows Defender - Antispyware (free for now)

Windows Live OneCare  - Antivirus (pay)
   http://www.windowsonecare.com
   Microsoft has their own pay-for anti-virus solution called
   Windows Live OneCare (http://www.windowsonecare.com).  I installed it
   when it was still in Beta and had some serious performance issues but
   cannot speak to its current state.