I messed around with this awhile ago for my macbook pro, here is the
mental I had made about it:
"run /lib/modules/fglrx/make_install.sh, after doing "sudo dpkg -i
fglrx-kernel-source_8.29.6-1_i386.deb" -- this package can be
generated with the ATI installer.
edit: if there are still issues and it is modprobe'd successfully etc
run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" (this was the only thing that
was really fucking me up)"

no idea if that helps.. and yeah.. it was a pain.

Clayton