> Subject: [tclug-list] ATI Display drivers
>
> Hi there.
>
> Are any of you guys using the ATI closed-source display
> drivers on a Linux box? I just spent like 4 days trying to
> get the thing to run correctly and it just refuses to get to
> the point where there's any kind of hardware acceleration...
> has anyone had a /positive/ experience?

No, not here.

> (for reference sake, I'm trying to use a built-in display on
> a mATX motherboard because I'd rather not put a video card in
> my media computer.
> But I would like OpenGL visualizations. And yes I regret
> gambling on an ATI-based motherboard, but I couldn't find a
> nforce mATX board with optical spdif and component-HDTV
> output for this cheap).

I've got the built-in ATI adapter (xPress 200m) in my laptop. The
opensource drivers would hang X
periodically, so I switched to the closed drivers. That solved my
stability issue, but
I only have 2D support. This is a known issue with the embedded
chipsets. They initialize
In a funky manner and even the ATI drivers don't work properly for 3D.

Supposedly, if you switch the adapter from dedicated memory to shared
memory then it will
Work, but I've had no luck with that either.

Bruce