A long time ago I posted on suggestions for setting up a software
RAID.  After months of planning I finally have things working after a
late night last night - I just wanted to share my experience with the
list so maybe someone can avoid the pitfalls I had:

1.) For Debian based (and probably any actually) systems - this
documentation is the best you are going to get on how to do a remote
RAID setup from an existing system, without data loss.  I was able to
do everything via SSH which was great:

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/rootraiddoc

2.) If you use a seperate partition for /tmp - watch out what
permissions you give it when creating a mount point (/mnt/tmp).

3.) With multiple partitions, be very careful how you use "cp -aux".
e.g. "cp -aux /boot /mnt/boot" is bad - "cp -aux /boot/* /mnt/boot" is
good.

4.) If you put swap on RAID, make sure you run mkswap on the raid
partition and use swapon to initialize it.

5.) My biggest blunder - when you are copying data to your first RAID
disk, shut down services like MySQL.  I didn't do this and after
copying data and syncing disks I had corrupt InnoDB tables because
MySQL (and most db's) don't like it when you make disk copies of data
files while the server is running.  Thankfully there were nightly
mysql backups to start a restore from.

Thanks for the help from earlier posts, I can sleep a little better at
night now.  :)

Josh