On 9/9/05, Christopher Smith <christophermsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a software raid 5 config of about 300gigs and if I make a large /
> long transfer to it via Samba 3.0.14a from an xp client (or probably any
> other) it kills the whole box. Locks it up.. I don't see anything in the
> logs.. I didn't have this issue with EXT3, but performance was much worse.
> Anyone seen this?

 Couple of things you want to check first:
 1) Network settings of both your server's NIC and the port it is connected
into. Ensure that they are both set identical to each other ( 100FD or AUTO
for example).
 2) Do you have any of this setting in your smb.conf file:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
 These two are some of the biggest issues I've run into in regards to samba
performance. There might be other issues, but I'd start with those.