From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Sam MacDonald
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 2:43 AM
Cc: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] SATA hotswap and Linux

Yes SATA drives can be used in a hot swap configuration BUT this is
controlled by the SATA controller not the drives. You also need the drives
mounted on sleds that fit in to a disk array.
The use of hot swap drives is best used with RAID 5 (stripping with
parity) where many drives make a very large volume.
It is also used in Mirrored configurations, again it's best to use hardware
not software for this. Hardware raid is faster then software raid in any
case. I know I'll get flamed for that last comment.

Sam.