From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Shawn Fertch
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 8:58 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] SATA hotswap and Linux - now- sw raid and XFS

On 9/9/05, Christopher Smith <christophermsmith at gmail.com> wrote:

I've got a software raid 5 config of about 300gigs and if I make a large /
long transfer to it via Samba 3.0.14a from an xp client (or probably any
other) it kills the whole box. Locks it up.. I don't see anything in the
logs.. I didn't have this issue with EXT3, but performance was much worse.
Anyone seen this?

Couple of things you want to check first:

1)  Network settings of both your server's NIC and the port it is connected
into.  Ensure that they are both set identical to each other ( 100FD or AUTO
for example).

2)  Do you have any of this setting in your smb.conf file:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY

These two are some of the biggest issues I've run into in regards to samba
performance.  There might be other issues, but I'd start with those.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..