Ken Fuchs wrote:

> You are correct.  Coraid (http://www.coraid.com/) created the standard
> and implemented the Linux device driver that is now included in the
> Torvalds (Vanilla) kernel.  Currently, Coraid is the only company with
> a product that implements the required AoE hardware.  The author of
> the Linux Magazine article works for Coraid.
>
> However, standards created by industry committees aren't necessary
> better than standards created by a single company.  Also, the AoE
> standard is about as simple as possible, but not simpler.
>
> AoE appears to cost a tenth of SAN for those applications that don't
> need full SAN capabilities.
>
> Other companies are sure to make AoE hardware, unless Coraid ties
> things up with patents and royalties; I didn't check this aspect.
>
> All things considered, I still wouldn't mind exploring the
> possibilities of a new low cost technology like AoE.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>

I agree that standards standards committee's are not necessarily the end
all and be all. I would love to have another low cost storage technology
available, but my cynical side causes me to say humbug on anything new
until I see evidence to the contrary. That being said, I'm going to look
into it more and find out if it is something worthwhile or not.

Josh