Josh Welch wrote:
>Call me cynical, but it looks to me like ATA over Ethernet appears to be
>a standard invented by one vendor and implemented by one vendor, who
>also happened to write the article for Linux Journal (or Linux Magazine,
>can't remember what I read).

You are correct.  Coraid (http://www.coraid.com/) created the standard
and implemented the Linux device driver that is now included in the
Torvalds (Vanilla) kernel.  Currently, Coraid is the only company with
a product that implements the required AoE hardware.  The author of
the Linux Magazine article works for Coraid.

However, standards created by industry committees aren't necessary
better than standards created by a single company.  Also, the AoE
standard is about as simple as possible, but not simpler.

AoE appears to cost a tenth of SAN for those applications that don't
need full SAN capabilities.

Other companies are sure to make AoE hardware, unless Coraid ties
things up with patents and royalties; I didn't check this aspect.

All things considered, I still wouldn't mind exploring the
possibilities of a new low cost technology like AoE.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>