Josh Welch wrote:

>Anyway, from what I've found ATA over Ethernet seems like a one horse
>show, which raises my suspicions somewhat. More interesting to me is
>iSCSI. I can see their arguments regarding the unnecessary additional
>overhead required by wrapping a storage protocol in TCP/IP when the
>disks are only 3 feet away, but it seems to me that it is simpler to
>wrap something in TCP/IP than to figure out a new transport layer
>without screwing it up.

>There is a pretty good  Linux iSCSI target in development right now,
>http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108475. I just
>wish I had sparkier hardware to really test it out against.

iSCSI is fine technology, but the overhead of TCP/IP is huge.  Please
note that many consider iSCSI to be too slow and complicated.  AoE is
fast and simple, but may be too simple for many applications.  On the
other hand, there isn't a complete Linux solution for AoE clustering
yet, so AoE is single node only for now.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>