On Thu, 26 May 2005, Florin Iucha wrote:
> Do you have any links/references/howto on using Fiber Channel? I was
> interested in the same thing, but I did not find any good references.

Not really - I just picked up a couple JBOD's from a fellow list member,
and played around on that for awhile. Now, I'm picking up a real array,
and am going to try to use it as shared storage between the boxes.

> Example questions:
>   - what kind of cables do they need?

Depends - you can either do copper or fiber for fibre channel. For copper,
in my limited experience, most HBA's have HSSDC connectors, switches
either have DB9 or HSSDC, and arrays generally use DB9 for the host
connector.

So, for host<->switch, you either need hssdc<->hssdc or hssdc<->db9, and
for host<->array, you generally need hssdc<->db9.

I haven't used the fiber option, but I understand it's just standard fiber
patch cables.

>   - do I need a switch? if not, how do I chain them?

If you want to hook multiple devices to one port, you need a switch.
Otherwise, you can generally go direct. (As I understand it, this varies
by implementation.)