On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:46:43AM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> Not really - I just picked up a couple JBOD's from a fellow list member,
> and played around on that for awhile. Now, I'm picking up a real array,
> and am going to try to use it as shared storage between the boxes.

Cool!

> >Example questions:
> >  - what kind of cables do they need?
>
> Depends - you can either do copper or fiber for fibre channel. For copper,
> in my limited experience, most HBA's have HSSDC connectors, switches
> either have DB9 or HSSDC, and arrays generally use DB9 for the host
> connector.
>
> So, for host<->switch, you either need hssdc<->hssdc or hssdc<->db9, and
> for host<->array, you generally need hssdc<->db9.
>
> I haven't used the fiber option, but I understand it's just standard fiber
> patch cables.
>
> >  - do I need a switch? if not, how do I chain them?
>
> If you want to hook multiple devices to one port, you need a switch.

If I want to connect three computers to an array, do I need a switch?
Does an array have a single port? (+ see below)

> Otherwise, you can generally go direct. (As I understand it, this varies
> by implementation.)

I remember something about an "Arbitrated Loop" where the computers
and storage sit in a circle and pass a pipe ;) Can I do that with
copper, or do I need something optical?

florin

--

Don't question authority: they don't know either!