On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 00:37 -0500, Ian Stoner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:49:01 -0500
> ptbecker <pt-becker at comcast.net> wrote:

> To configure synaptic to pull packages from the 'net instead of from the
> CD, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> The first line will be something like:
>   deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary...
>
> Comment that line out, and uncomment the next line, which will be
> something like:
>   deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted
>
> Then run an apt-get update, and sy should pull packages from the
> Ubuntu servers instead of from the CD.
>
> Ian

Thanks for the tip. I know what/where to go to edit this file. Now my
next problem which I thought about after I installed - How do I get root
privileges? I don't remember a menu option to create a root password
during the install. I need to go to root to edit this file (and a few
other things).

I installed kubuntu before this ubuntu run. The kubuntu install went
fine, but once I ran knaptic I had serious problems. After 2 failures
with knaptic I'm giving ubuntu a try.

I have a comcast - once I turn my computer on I should have a connection
to the Internet. synaptic will do upgrades without any problems,
however, installing packages gives the cdrom issue.

Thanks - Pete