On Wed, 18 May 2005 18:49:01 -0500
ptbecker <pt-becker at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi
> Well I'm not a total newbie as I had Suse on this machine for a few
> years and now moved to ubuntu. I'm pleasantly surprised with ubuntu
> even though I'm not hip with gnome. So here is my question - when I
> run synaptic to install packages it asks for the hoary disk to be
> inserted in the cdrom. I insert disk and it shows up on the desktop
> but synaptic behaves like its not inserted and fails to install my
> favorite programs. How do I get synaptic to install packages? Yes I
> know, I'm probably missing something simple.
> Thanks - pt

I'm not sure why synaptic isn't recognizing the CD, but unless you lack
an internet connection, there isn't much reason to install from the CD
at all.  You will get more current software with more convenience if you
install from the 'net.

To configure synaptic to pull packages from the 'net instead of from the
CD, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list

The first line will be something like:
  deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 5.04 _Hoary...

Comment that line out, and uncomment the next line, which will be
something like:
  deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted

Then run an apt-get update, and synaptic should pull packages from the
Ubuntu servers instead of from the CD.

Ian