"Well, I will say this. Before I came on the scene my predecessor had
tried to set up a similar gig using conventional Cisco Aironet 802.11b
equipment and failed miserably to get signal very far into the
building. This time around my employer wanted to try something with
more power."

I happen to be Lorens predecessor and the Cisco equipment I was given
to try was pretty much pathetic.  Its signal basically would only
reach about fifty feet of each floor and about a ten foot area of the
floor above and below before dropping signal.  I tried as many
possible placements of the equipment as reasonably possible with a few
different types of antennas trying to direct it. So using Lorens word
I most definately failed miserably in getting the provided equipment
to work with that building.