On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 08:26:11AM -0600, Jonathan Nevala wrote:
> I happen to be Lorens predecessor and the Cisco equipment I was given
> to try was pretty much pathetic.  Its signal basically would only
> reach about fifty feet of each floor and about a ten foot area of the
> floor above and below before dropping signal.  I tried as many
> possible placements of the equipment as reasonably possible with a few
> different types of antennas trying to direct it. So using Lorens word
> I most definately failed miserably in getting the provided equipment
> to work with that building.

One method of getting around this is to mount antenna to the wireless
AP's on the outside of the building aligned to shoot up and down the
sides of the building.  Access is then obtained by the clients by
setting up the receiving antenna by a window, or outside the window.  If
you mount the AP at the top of the building pointing downwards, you may
even be able to cover some of the parking lot and commons areas.  I
would then place additional AP's in "common areas" within the building
itself.

An added bonus to this type of setup is that your broadcast is very
localized, hopefully reducing interference from 2.4 GHz telephones and
the like.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>           http://www.wookimus.net/