On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:44:11 -0600, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> > well yes, albeit 4 port switches. I was thinking I could go 4 floors
> > at a time hooked into one AP but that would still leave 6 NAT gateways
> > (better than 35 for sure)
>
> Actually, 5 ports, if you change some nvram settings you can set up the
> WAN to operate as an additional LAN port...

Well that would be something. How would I go about changing the nvram
if not through the provided web interface?

> > Plus the Pre-N APs don't appear to have bridging capability.
>
> I'm confused, are you using AP's, or are you using routers? AP's should
> be bridging by definition. I don't see any Pre-N AP's listed on Belkin's
> site...

yeah, uh....I am mixing up my terminology. I meant routers.

> I know the stock 7230 firmware supports an AP mode. Have you made sure
> you have the latest firmware? Apparently the earlier Pre-N firmware was
> missing a lot of stuff that was later added.

I did not see any updated firmware on Belkin's site

> If they're routers, even without an AP mode, they should be bridging
> between the wireless and the LAN anyway. Just leave the WAN link
> hanging, hook them all together through a LAN port, give them all fixed
> LAN IP's, and disable DHCP serving. Then put a PC on the LAN network,
> serving up a 10.x.0.0/16 network via DHCP and providing the WAN
> connection.

roit....well I would do this actually, but (at least through the web
interface) they will only allow a /24 (as the first 3 octets are
provided for you based on the IP of the LAN address)

> ... That should theoretically work. The key is being able to disable
> DHCP serving so the PC can serve up a /16 network. And the routers
> probably need to have STP enabled, which I think the 7230's do...

Well, the only problem is that I would not be able to block SMB ports
from others on the same network without doing it at router
itself.....and since the router will only take responsibility for the
/24 it is on, I cannot reliably do that with this method.

--
Loren H. Burlingame <loren at lhb.name>
GPG Key ID: 0x112DCF4F