It sounds like you got a few corrupted files that may be system
libraries.

If you _really_ want to know what is not allowing mysql to start, use strace.

bash$ strace -f mysqld &> /tmp/some.file.txt

torleiv

what you said

--
One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief
that one's work is terribly important.