On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:24:39AM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Nate Straz wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 10:11:25PM -0600, Mike Miller wrote:
> >>So, GNU's Not UNIX, but is Linux UNIX?  Why or why not?
> >
> >I see you haven't been paying any attention to the SCO vs IBM fiasco.
> >Perhaps you need to read up on Groklaw.
>
> I have read about that suit, but maybe I didn't understand it.  The suit
> was about UNIX code that belonged to SCO getting into the Linux kernel.
> They may have been lying.  How does this relate to the question of whether
> Linux would meet the criteria for a UNIX operating system?  Is UNIX
> defined by particular lines of code, or is it defined by functionalty?

UNIX is defined by the code it was derrived from.  All UNIX flavors[1]
started from the same code base.  Linux was started from scratch, thus
it's not really UNIX, just UNIX-like.  SCO is trying to prove that some
of the code in Linux came from "their" UNIX codebase.

Nate

[1] Solaris, AIX, IRIX, HP/UX, etc