From: Justin Krejci jus at krytosvirus.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:17:21 -0500
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Actiontec modem and accessing your web page

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 10:04 am, Jima wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Munir Nassar wrote:
> > Wayne Johnson writes:
> > > I recently upgraded my DSL to the new 1.5Mb service from Qwest.  It
> > > required me to upgrade the modem to the Actiontec.  Not sure I like
it.

> > Qwest is trying is telling all their customers who have cisco routers
> > that they need to upgrade, even if they have Cisco678s that will still
> > work.
>
>  Yep.  If you had a 675, that's useless (and has been for years), but
> they're telling people 678s "won't work" with the new installs, and that's
> just false.
>  Through odd circumstances they sold us a GT701 and comp'ed us for it.  I
> used it for a while, but experienced the lockups mentioned by the OP (or
> similar lockups, maybe).  Unfortunately, with the 678 the synch dropped
> every time the phone (on a different line than the DSL circuit, oddly)
> rang.  I narrowed it down to some extraneous wiring installed by the
> people who sold us our phone system, and once I removed a pair of bridge
> clips, the problem went away.  As did the GT701 (and its horrible UI).
>  The 678 may be long since EOL'd, but it still does what I want it to do.
> I've had nothing but problems with ActionTec DSL modems (as Real-Time
> might remember).
>
>      Jima

The Cisco 675 is not completely worthless. If for example you still have an
older CAP line from Qwest and your current router dies. You can use a Cisco
675 or a 678 as long as the 678 has a CAP cbos loaded. Note 2.4.8 is the
latest (and likely last) version cbos for the cisco 67x dsl routers.

Also the actiontecs may need to have their firmware updated too.