On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Ben Bargabus wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using Sendmail on a FreeBSD 4.3 box to forward email.  Email will be

TCBUG is to your left, but...

> dumps, this is really annoying.  I'm wondering if I can run through the
> same sort of check for valid domains that "otherdomain.com" does before

This should be default behavior in recent versions (like post-8.9 - so
"recent" isn't really the right word).  But it could have been overridden
if your cf was compiled with FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')

Just to confirm - you are sure that the host is just doing a check on the
domains, and not on the sender address itself?  Many sites are starting to
do address validation.  So look at the mail in your queue and confirm that
the domains really don't exist.

Then to be doubly-sure, connect to your mailhost from outside of your
network and try something like:

HELO whatever
MAIL FROM: <bob at invalid.domain>

It /should/ reject it, unless it's been overridden as mentioned above.

You can see if it was overridden by looking in your sendmail.cf file.
In SBasic_check_mail there should be some lines like:

R<TEMP> $*              $#error $@ 4.1.8 $: "451 Domain of sender address " $&f
" does not resolve"

R<PERM> $*              $#error $@ 5.1.8 $: "553 Domain of sender address " $&f
" does not exist"

If you see those lines, and it is still not rejecting mail from
non-existant domains, contact me off-list and I'll work with you.