I agree with the opinion of it being absurd. At issue here is the extension of
the copyright in the DMCA. The no reverse engineering clause was added and
many believe it contradicts some of the fair use doctrine that has been part
of copyright for a long time. Specifically since the latest extensions on
copyright period create an almost permanent copyright on all work.

Yes the company has a right to protect itself, but it will be interesting to
see how they claim it hurts them. The only thing I can think of is that now
they can't sell a "kit" to do the customization since there is already one
out there. Or maybe that's the point. They get a court to declare what was
done illegal and then release a software package that does the same thing.
(Maybe even taking the existing code to do it!)

Jack

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com