On Sat, 12 Feb 2005, Sam MacDonald wrote:

> I'm going to get flamed for this!
>
> If the copy write says they should not reverse engineer the game or change it
> in any way, explain to me why the company in question should not stand up for
> their rights?

Because Copyright doesn't say that. It isn't one of their rights.
Copyright is exactly what it says: Copy Right, the right to make and distribute
copies of a written or recorded work. Specifically granted in the US Constitution for
the promotion of the advancement of Arts and Sciences. NOT to protect
"Artistic Integrity" or long term profits, but to encourage the
creation of new works.

> The idea that "this is just a game" isn't acceptable when the product is not
> open source. From what I've read this is a closed source program not an open
> source program. What we need to recognize is, in the United States everyone
> has a right to due process. If we agree or not with what someone does, they
> have a right to due process.

Yes, everyone has a right to due process. It is the big corporations that are
trying to deny that right to everyone else. Due process is bad for profits, yaknow.

> Even SCO has the right, but they must produce evidence that I don't think
> they have and it looks like a judge is saying the same thing.  Remember SCO
> gets lots of money from M$.

Yep, and if any Linux developer discovered a copyright violation a patch
to remedy the situation would accompany the announcement of the discovery.

> Doom, Quake, Call of Duty, and others have many mods for the original games,
> but the people who make the games said making the mods is cool.

But they didn't have to. Mods predated Doom, and are perfectly legal as long
as they are distributed as diffs against the original work.

> Yes contribute to EFF, yes stand up for what we believe in, but we must let
> others do the same no mater what we think.

We must also call people on it when they are trying to claim "rights" that they
do not have. Don't let people take advantage of you just because they have
Italian suits and talk pretty legalese.

--
Daniel Taylor
random at argle.org