On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:51:05 -0600, Nick <bellsoffreedom at animail.net> wrote:
> Okay. Here is the newest report. I tried several things people
> suggested.
>
> On Linux -
>
> When I type "ssh root at localhost" it hangs for several minutes, and
> does not print anything to the screen.

Do you have another user on the system?  If so, try that instead.  You
may have root locked down.  Or, simply try "ssh localhost" or "ssh
ip.add.re.ss"

> Typed: less /etc/ssdh_config
> Said: No such file or directory

It's probably in /etc/ssh/.  However, check your spelling as there is
no file such as ssdh_config

> I typed: find / sshd
> It said: no such file or directory

See above.  Context is "find / -name sshd*"

> When I typed "telnet localhost 22" it said "Trying 1 . . ." and did
> nothing else. It gave no SSH version.

Localhost might be restricted from ssh maybe?

> Typed "telnet 192.168.1.2 22"
> It said:  Connected to 192.168.1.2
> Escape character is 'ctrl ]'
> SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.7.1p2

See above...

> Typed: tcpdump -n src host 192.168.1.1
> Said: Command not found.

tcpdump may not be installed...

> I can ping Linux box from Windows. I can ping Windows from Linux.
> When I ping Windows from the Linux box it keeps going and going and
> going.

Okay, the ping on a *NIX (except solaris) system will continue
indefinately until either you do a ctrl-c to break it, or you set
option to ping for a specific count.

> Also, many of you pointed out that I had the PSCP command backwards.
> I reversed it, exactly as was explained. When typed on the Windows
> machine:
> pscp -r user at 192.168.1.2:/home/user/directories/to/copy  c:\home
> I still get the error "ssh_init: Connection timed out"
>
> On Windows -
> Typed: arp -a 192.168.1.2
> Said: No ARP entries found
>
> Ideas? What am I missing?

Out of curiosity, the network settings (except ip) are identical on
both the windows and linux systems?  Same subnet, same gateway, etc?
Please post output from "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn" please from
your linux system, and output from "ipconfig /all" from your windows
system

Find your ssh_config and sshd_config files and post to the list.
They're most likely under /etc/ssh.

--
-Shawn

-Nemo me impune lacessit.  Ne Obliviscaris..