Okay. Here is the newest report. I tried several things people
suggested.

On Linux -

When I type "ssh root at localhost" it hangs for several minutes, and
does not print anything to the screen.

Typed: less /etc/ssdh_config
Said: No such file or directory

I typed: find / sshd
It said: no such file or directory

When I typed "telnet localhost 22" it said "Trying 1 . . ." and did
nothing else. It gave no SSH version.

Typed "telnet 192.168.1.2 22"
It said:  Connected to 192.168.1.2
Escape character is 'ctrl ]'
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.7.1p2

Typed: tcpdump -n src host 192.168.1.1
Said: Command not found.

I can ping Linux box from Windows. I can ping Windows from Linux.
When I ping Windows from the Linux box it keeps going and going and
going.

Can I "ssh to localhost" on the Linux box? No.

Also, many of you pointed out that I had the PSCP command backwards.
I reversed it, exactly as was explained. When typed on the Windows
machine:
pscp -r user at 192.168.1.2:/home/user/directories/to/copy  c:\home
I still get the error "ssh_init: Connection timed out"

On Windows -
Typed: arp -a 192.168.1.2
Said: No ARP entries found

Ideas? What am I missing?