On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Nick wrote:

> It asks for a password. The computer is at home.

You are at the windows machine trying to connect to the linux machine and
the linux machine sends a password prompt to you at the windows machine.
Is that correct?  The linux machine is at home, or the windows machine is
at home?  You are in your office at work?

> If everything were working, of course, I could easily print out and show
> you what's on the Linux screen. I'm sure it's frustrating trying to get
> the information you need out of someone that doesn't know as much.

> I know when I "ssh localhost" it prints a bunch of info out and asks for
> my user password, NOT the root password.

That's a good sign.  Try this:

ssh root at localhost

And tell us if that works.

> Yes, I'm doing ssh as root.

You might have root access turned off.  Do this:

less /etc/sshd_config

And look for this line:

PermitRootLogin no

If you have that line, you can't do root login.  If it says 'yes' instead
of 'no' at the end of that line, you can do root login but ...

More on that later...

Mike