On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 smac at visi.com wrote:

> You will need to enable SSH as root but this is not a.... secure idea.
> SSH as just a user, us "su" to gain root access.

That's what I do too.

> If you open SSH up for root login be ready to have a some fun removing a
> rootkit or re-installing Linux.

Some people argue vociferously that this is not an important security
precaution.  The key, they say, is using good passwords and applying
security patches immediately when they become available.  They have a
point, but I say that it will make a difference whenever you are running
an insecure ssh.  That might never happen, but if it does happen, you'll
be protected.  I assume that the argument for allowing root login is based
entirely on convenience.

Mike