On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:17:53PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
> 1.) Does anyone have experiences they can share with setting up a s/w
> RAID on an existing system?  (Server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 running
> Debian sid with 2.4.32 - I build the kernel myself - it is currently
> co-located which might make remote setup interesting)

I set up a software RAID system on my home server a couple of years ago
(back when two 40GB drives were all my I could afford).  I bought a PCI
IDE controller and two identical drives, installed and formatted them,
took about 45 minutes total.  The instructions in the RAID HOWTO were
pretty good as I recall.

I haven't had any problems with it since I've set it up, so I can't
speak to how difficult it is to recover from e.g. a disk failure.  It's
a RAID-1 setup.

> 2.) We can have a maximum of 3 drives on the SCSI controller.  I am
> pushing to get two more drives matching the current drive.  I was
> going to use one as a scratch space / archive area and then use the
> other to setup a software RAID.  Sound ok or something better?

Sounds luvverly.

> 3.) RAID-1 seems to be the right solution for this kind of setup (only
> 2 disks, exact same size)

That's worked for me so far.

--
trammell at el-swifto.com  9EC7 BC6D E688 A184 9F58  FD4C 2C12 CC14 8ABA 36F5
Twin Cities Linux Users Group (TCLUG)      Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota