John J. Trammell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 05:17:53PM -0600, Josh Trutwin wrote:
>> 1.) Does anyone have experiences they can share with setting up a s/w
>> RAID on an existing system?  (Server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 running
>> Debian sid with 2.4.32 - I build the kernel myself - it is currently
>> co-located which might make remote setup interesting)
>
> I set up a software RAID system on my home server a couple of years ago
> (back when two 40GB drives were all my I could afford).  I bought a PCI
> IDE controller and two identical drives, installed and formatted them,
> took about 45 minutes total.  The instructions in the RAID HOWTO were
> pretty good as I recall.

Thanks - I had some other off-list replies too which have been
helpful.  I guess my biggest concern now is how to create a RAID
starting with an existing system.  Do I have to partition the second
drive the same as my current one?  I'm still reading up on a lot of
this so I'm still weeks (maybe months?) from going forward.

> I haven't had any problems with it since I've set it up, so I can't
> speak to how difficult it is to recover from e.g. a disk failure.  It's
> a RAID-1 setup.

I guess it doesn't take the place of a good backup strategy, but as I
see it with a RAID-1 setup if one of the drives goes bad you should be
able to use the other drive while you replace the faulty one.  I think
that's a bit of an oversimplification though.

Thanks,

Josh