On 12/20/05, Josh Trutwin <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> 1.) Does anyone have experiences they can share with setting up a s/w
> RAID on an existing system?  (Server is a Dell PowerEdge 1750 running
> Debian sid with 2.4.32 - I build the kernel myself - it is currently
> co-located which might make remote setup interesting)

I practiced that on a remote server (well, it was in the basement, and I
wasn't) since I was considering doing it to rented dedicated server. After a
couple of tries, I could do it reliably, reboots and all. IIRC, the
instructions I started with were these:

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/25205/How_to_build_bootable_RAID_1_as_a_module_with_Grub_on_Debian_Sarge.html

I partitioned differently which caused me a little heartburn (wrong argument
to mkinitrd on my first tries.) Practice on a machine you can get to before
doing it to a machine that is truly remote.

2.) We can have a maximum of 3 drives on the SCSI controller.  I am
> pushing to get two more drives matching the current drive.  I was
> going to use one as a scratch space / archive area and then use the
> other to setup a software RAID.  Sound ok or something better?

I'm not a pro, so my advice may not be worth anything, but I setup a
PowerEdge 1550 that way and it worked fine.

> 3.) RAID-1 seems to be the right solution for this kind of setup (only
> 2 disks, exact same size)

I don't think you need identical drives, though that makes it easier. If
they're different sizes, size the md device to the smallest drive.

Any other suggestions / war stories are most welcome.

Keep a cheatsheet of mdadm commands around. Mine have worked and worked with
*almost* no problems, but when something goes wrong, you want to minimize
how long it takes you to relearn what you need to know to fix it.

Steve