If you're thinking Debian, I would go with Ubuntu myself. Ubuntu has a
6 month release cycle, where Debian has...well it's Debian so... :)
Ubuntu is much easier to train someone new to Linux administration on
as well. Lots of nice GUI stuff, where as it's all command line in
Debian.

For building from source, I reccomend using stow. Handy little perl
script for managing software installation/uninstallation under
/usr/local.

I just recently setup Ubuntu on a Dell PowerEdge server, and it was
slick. Runs great. The Ubuntu core packages don't always have
everything you need, so expect to use universe and multiverse trees as
well.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it