On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Andrew Zbikowski wrote:

> If you're thinking Debian, I would go with Ubuntu myself. Ubuntu has a 6
> month release cycle, where Debian has...well it's Debian so... :)

I think I've read before about long waits for new Debian releases, but
this is something I don't quite understand:  What do I need to do when a
new release comes out?  What is new in a new release?

I would guess this means that new versions of many programs are made
available in the new release.  If there is no kernel update, then can I
just install the new software without a reboot?  Is there any downtime
with a new release?  What am I missing if I skip new releases?

> Ubuntu is much easier to train someone new to Linux administration on as
> well.  Lots of nice GUI stuff, where as it's all command line in Debian.

That sounds good.

> For building from source, I reccomend using stow. Handy little perl
> script for managing software installation/uninstallation under
> /usr/local.

That also sounds good.  I'd never heard of it, but I can see that it is
based on a very clever scheme!:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/admin/stow

Well, it sounds like some former Debian users are finding that they now
prefer Ubuntu/Kubuntu and that makes me wonder if I should be trying
Ubuntu instead of Debian.  So many decisions!

Mike