On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Ken Fuchs wrote:

> Perhaps a more specialized Linux distribution would be more suitable
> like ...
>
> https://www.scientificlinux.org/
> http://bioinformatics.org/biobrew/
> http://dnalinux.com/

That's some pretty neat stuff, but my needs are a little different from
those of the developers of those packages.  I'd still have to install
almost everything I need, so I think I'll go with a more standard distro
and install my genetics programs from source.

> One good reason to choose Debian over all others is the huge number of
> well supported packages available for it, the deb package format and
> apt-get.  I also use Fedora Core 4, but there aren't nearly as many
> packages for it, the packages are in rpm format which is considered by
> many to be inferior to deb and yum doesn't seem to work as well as
> apt-get.  SUSE is also an excellent distribution and will get much
> better do to the recent announcement of http://www.openSUSE.org/.

I'm also leaning toward Debian right now.  I've always heard good things
about apt-get.  I also hear good things about Gentoo's package management.
Can Debian automatically find and download updates to packages when they
become available?  I think Gentoo does that.

>> So what are the biggest differences between these distros for a server
>> class machine?  Would these differences affect users much or mostly
>> just administrators?
>
> The most important difference is how difficult it will be to install
> missing software and configure the Linux distribution to do what you
> need it to do.

That's what I was thinking.

Thanks.

Mike