On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> tar cpf /dev/st0 --directory / --exclude=/proc .  (please note the equal
> sign and not white space between the option and it's parameter).

> I am aware of the list of directories and files as quoted in the man
> pages on the "-X" or "--exclude-from" statement where it reads a text
> file of things to exclude.

Debian man pages:

        --exclude=PATTERN
               exclude files matching PATTERN
        -X, --exclude-from=FILE
               exclude files matching patterns listed in FILE

Apparently, that's where it's coming from.

Have you tried specifying your exclude's first thing?

IE,

tar --exclude /proc -cpf /dev/st0 --directory / .

I just tried:
tar --exclude /proc -czvf blah.tar /proc /boot

and it excluded /proc successfully. (Debian's tar, again.)